Charity Challenge (open)Saturday, March 9, 2019
10:00am-4:00pm; lunch available for purchase at the club
Chair: Carol Jones
Participant release form
Curl for a cause - raise funds for your favorite charity and awareness for your organization. Gather up four or more friends, co-workers or relatives to compete in this great event. Pick a charity of your choice and raise donations. Then come down and curl! Teams get points for dollars raised and rocks scored; the team with the highest total gets bragging rights and keeps the trophy for a year (sorry, like the Stanley Cup you must bring it back). Seasoned curlers provide coaching and instruction.
The Charity Challenge:
- is for non-curlers and first year curlers.
- is an exciting fund raiser
- is winter sport at its best
- welcomes spectators. Bring signs and cheer for your favorite team!
Fees (covers equipment and ice rental, snacks, lunch, and awards)
- $50 per team of four entry fee plus $10 for each additional person on the team
- Entry fee due Friday, March 2, 2018.
- Raise money for your charitable cause. Bring a cash or a check made out to the cause to the event with you
- Dress for 40 degree temperature on the ice surface
- Wear loose fitting/stretchable slacks. Jeans are not recommended.
- Carry clean flat soled shoes to curl in. Street shoes cannot be worn down to the ice.
- 10:00am registration
- 10:15 am entry fees collected
- 10:45am orientation
- 11:00am practice
- noon lunch (included in entry fee)
- 1:00pm games
- 3:00pm awards ceremony
2019 Charity ChallengeThe Twentieth Annual Charity Curling Challenge sponsored by Cosentino Commercial Photography and Max’s Print Shop was held at the Utica Curling Club on Saturday, March 9th to benefit local charities. This year’s charity fund-raising had twelve teams of novice curlers competing and “curling for a cause”. Their efforts raised $2, 048 for six different charities. The Grand Champion Team was determined by the highest combined total of dollars raised and curling points scored.
This year’s Grand Champion Team was Team “Rose Valley Goat Farm” whose charity was the Joslin Diabetes Center. The team, Doug Rsenthal (skip), Heather Saxton (vice), Stacy Saxton (2nd), Maryann D'Addio (lead) was coached by Mitch Rubinovich. High curling score winner was "RAD Rocks", who raised money for the Utica Zoo, and the high fundraising winner was "Hammered and Stoned", who raised money for the St. Therese Food Pantry. Other charities benefiting from the event included: the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Girls with Guts, and the Shriners Hospital.
Thank you to sponsors, coaches, ice crew, and staff for introducing people to the sport of curling while helping worthwhile causes in the community!